Number of medals rewarded

I’m too aware of this. And after three weeks, I’m finally getting someone from the company to review my medal count for the “boom” event. I was given 5 - 40 medals for all wins across the board the entire event. Even my first match and first win was 37 medals! It’s ridiculous that I even invested more into that event.

Your methodology is flawed because it’s not about skill for a large part of it it’s about the random cards you choose and what our levels of those cards happen to be and the random draw of your deck. I’ve beaten some top players, literally top ranks in Multiplayer and top rank in the event, and then have a losing streak with bad luck on draws. For example in the last event right before the system decided I would only get 5 medals I had a bad run of 4 losses in a row but right before that Imwon 4 out of 5. Your system has almost nothing to do with skill. If you gave everyone the same cards you could possibly argue that but the cards aren’t the same and the matchups are not well balanced.

On top of this once the system changes you to 5 medals you almost might as well not play because you cannot make progress and you can’t go on a significant enough win streak to change it. Why should I spend gems which cost real money to have your system ruin my game. It’s time to admit this system is just another way for rich to get richer because if you have all or most of the units at 17 you are much more likely to win than to lose no matter how good your opponent is. This drop to 5 medals is insulting and needs to go away. It’s not about skill it’s about streaks and those aren’t the same thing. For that matter if it were even somewhat consistent it might make sense but those of us playing see no transparency and no consistency in the system. This is literally the only PvP game I’ve played where the reward for wins and losses is just a mystery to me. The rest look at relative team power and give awards based on that. Beat a team lesser ranked then you are get a small award, beat a team higher ranked then you are get a big award. Play more, earn more. If you don’t want it to be about number of games played but about “skill” then why allow ticket purchases at all? Why not just have a set number of games everyone can play?

2 Likes

I’ve started a thread on event discussion for this event. I’ve already started to post screen shots. Feel free to check it out.

1 Like

Winning based on skill level? Doesn’t mean anything? I went against high lv players and get 5 medals… they are obviously more skilled and have higher units yet I get 5? When I know that the ones that have beaten me in event have gotten more from beating me(a lower level than them) I do not believe your system is right and needs a change especially since y’all were so busy adding a new feature that could have bugs instead of fixing the problem we all are dealing with! Just fix the problems at hand then add more. Please do t just make this game a money grabber because in the long run a more enjoyable game is gonna get the money. Not a crap game that has so many bugs and not playable. I’m really hoping that the game goes to the first one but I believe it’s going towards the second one… I really hope it doesn’t and I believe that it can be turned around. @S7Dave @S7Swede @S7campusLifer @S7NotABot

3 Likes

I’m not saying five medals should be the set number. I was just throwing an idea out there

Even if you’re beating players with higher level cards, it doesn’t mean your skill rating should endlessly go up – for that to happen, you would need to beat all of your opponents much more often than you lose. For all players (except the very best 2-3 players in the game, perhaps) this can only go on for so long until the player finds their (current!) sweet spot and they plateau.

I’m not sure if that makes sense, but basically everyone has some “skill” level. Generally, this goes up a bit as players play the event and tweaks their decks and strategies. Players fall into a few broad buckets: some can beat players with better (or much better) cards, some players find it tough against those of equal level, and some struggle against those with lower level cards. Every player is given (roughly) increasingly harder opponents until their win-loss ratio becomes less strong (and again, this happens to every player eventually). The goal is for players to win about half their matches (it has to be this way, since every match has a winner and a loser!) … so we show harder opponents until this is roughly the case. When a player reaches this win rate (roughly), they’ll also have reached roughly their skill rating (and shortly thereafter, medal) plateau.

Regardless, every player will be able to raise the skill rating to whatever level actually reflects their current skill (indirectly impacted by the cards you have, of course) … and once you hit that plateau (regardless of which bucket you fall in) your medals will also plateau.

Of course, if you find a new strategy and start winning more often than not again, then you’ll resume climbing and reach a new, higher plateau.

But everyone has a plateau, and will eventually reach it. If this wasn’t the case, then winning the event would be about who plays the most matches, not who has the greatest skill (a combination of strategy and, of course, card levels).

Right. I think the hardest part isn’t so much the medals you get. Its the fact that you’re using a ticket and you have a chance to draw a 5 medal opponent or a 200 medal opponent. Granted, as the event goes on this becomes less likely but you still can’t really choose what tier you’re after so you could just be unlucky and you use all your tickets and don’t progress at all. And there isn’t much you could have actually done differently.

2 Likes

Fair point. There are two cases which lead to you getting 5 medals:

1. To avoid 5 medal bots, you need to avoid queuing for longer than 4.5 minutes or so (at 5 minutes, you’ll get a 5-medal bot). Not ideal, but it’s a handy trick to know.
  2. On the other hand, if you’re getting 5 medals after waiting less than 5 minutes, then you’re playing a real person and you’re getting few medals because our estimate of your skill rating has plateaued (and thus your medals have also been plateaued) … the only way to get more medals in this case is to demonstrate that your skill is higher than currently estimated (by significantly raising your win-loss ratio; though to be honest, this probably isn’t likely to happen unless you’ve suddenly found a much better strategy or upgraded a lot of cards).

I think I was just choosing the extremes but there’s a lot of space in between. Given the cost of tickets each match becomes exponentially more important so when the algorithm and result is something so out of your hands, it’s hard for people to have a stable outcome

1 Like

Listen you guys. They are here to come up with an excuse each week so we hang on just a bit longer. They also promised me with compensation today for how badly I was screwed in the boom event. I heard from no one. I am deeply hurt and betrayed by our brother @S7Dave. I had put so much into this game. I invested nearly $4,500.00 into this game (embarrassing I know) and thought it might go somewhere and that my money was not just wasted, but something that I could build off of for the future to come.

I’ve spent a lot less this last week. Normally I would buy out the shop until I couldn’t buy anymore. And this was just for coins and season tokens! Because, we all know that I have too many copies of cards which are useless now and “gold” which is also useless. And the very last thing that I would spend money on is now broken as well. Events and buying tickets are pointless seeing as how that I can not determine the outcome of my future with gems as advertised. Medals are just a cover up for “ya don’t know whatcha really gonna get. So you better spend until you can’t spend no more!”

Oh well. Maybe I can go back to hearthstone. I was playing it again last night. It was pretty fun. Plus I get gold in a reasonable time and can and do get to play for free, but I also spend money to support Blizzard and buy some packs here and there. Maybe if WB adopted business strategies and models after Blizzard, (which happens to be one of the most successful franchises in the gaming industry) they could stay active and get paid for the next ten to twenty years rather than 10- 20 months.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but you can’t pull this “you have a chance to pull a 5-200 medal win” on your very first win and first game.

You, me and the community all know that this isn’t right. And you let it happen to me again this event as well as many events before me. You told me I would be compensated for the boom event today after dragging out my compensation for two weeks, I now feel like a once hopeful fool to a hopeless idiot.

1 Like

Card level is not skill, please stop,calling it that. I don’t care how skillful a player is you give them level 12 cards on the average against a player with level 16-17 cards on average they will not win. Your system does not reflect skill you keep putting harder players against us which usually means players with higher level cards. So what you are saying is that roughly (the word you used) a player will eventually lose because they face opponents with better cards than they have.

2 Likes

This isn’t likely to happen because no one is going to spend gems to get more tickets when they only win 5 medals. Theoretically your system is right if you can keep playing to reflect a true plateau but you can’t your times to play are limited. I probably play 50ish games most events. You can’t tell me that in the 50 games with 25-30 wins that my skill rating has leveled off to the point my events are only worth 5 medals, it is not a significant number to determine that statistically. On top of that you claim it’s not supposed to be about number of games played and then say you need a win streak to improve it. If it were about skill then the reward would be based on what your rating is vs what your opponents rating is. Play against a weak opponent and get less medals but win against a stronger opponent and get more medals. If I follow your system then once you are set to 5 medals you can beat the top rated player and still only get 5 medals… that isn’t right.

2 Likes

I totally agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Question: if you look at the people above you on the event leaderboard, do you believe you could defeat them head-to-head if you were matched in the event?

Yes, for the majority of the time. And at least they earned or paid something similar. As opposed to someone randomly having max everything. But the lack of players progressing sort of circles back to the economy a bit.

1 Like

I’m confused, you’re saying you believe you could or couldn’t defeat the people above your in the event leaderboard?

(I’m not talking about random matchups — I’m talking about the event leaderboard and whether the medal calculation is doing what is intended.)

If everything is working as planned, the leaderboard should resemble a stackrank of who would defeat each other most of the time head-to-head if they played each other in the event. if you look at the leaderboard at the end of the event, the people far above you in medals should be people you honestly don’t think you could beat head-to-head in the event. The people near your medal count are people where you would beat each other depending on the card draw luck. The people way below you are people you know you could beat.

My belief with all of the groaning is that the leaderboard more or less is succeeding in doing that right now. But I’m definitely open to hearing evidence to the contrary!

I think I would do reasonably well against the other unenhanced players in my group. I think what people see is that they’re willing to fight against other ACTUAL players. Not bots, not boosted players. It’s really that’s simple I think? But being told that the only other solution is queue times so long that people also quit playing…that’s not really ideal either.

Sometimes yes and sometimes no, but I also have no idea how I end up in the bracket I am in. Similarly ranked players in my guild are usually in other brackets, some of them with much easier to defeat people in it. I never end up in easy brackets. And often a player at the top seems to be hundreds and hundred of medals ahead very early on. I don’t know if the medals just don’t start dropping and they dropped a ton of gems or they just get that particular event, have the right cards, and never lose. But no, not infrequently, I face people above me in the event and win, I also face people above me and lose. Most of it seems pretty random. I have faced Pandread many times in event over the months, sometimes I win, sometimes he wins, I think he has a better record over me, I also think he has better cards than I do. Today we fought and I think it was pretty much luck of the draw, who had the right cards when.

Thats just so unfair, I am speechless. The system works now like even if you have only wins, medals reward count degrading with each win. And for some players this process starts at 1900 medals, and for unlucky ones at 1000-1300. It results in ~500 medals gap in the end of event(with players with close amount of wins). I can’t believe they think it decent mechanics.

And again I have players from 15k to 25k stars in my brackets. Range should be 10% max. Make more small groups if you don’t have enough playerbase, just make events fair for god sake!

1 Like