Matchmaking and the reset

What is it about the reset that absolutely throws the already trash ELO system into super trash mode? Half the matches are against guys that so outclass my units that the battle is unwinnable; guys that 2 weeks from now I will rarely play against due to the lvl discrepancy.

1 Like

The reset has lots of problems we’d like to improve. We’re working on a major change to ranked mode and matchmaking which will revamp a lot of this. We hope to have it out in the next couple of months. We don’t want to invest our development time on “throw away work” if the feature will be changing significantly.

1 Like

@S7campusLifer That’s good to hear. I really wish that you would just flip the switch on the rank reset until then. It’s really tough to play the game for a week until things settle.

1 Like

Ranked Reset serves a few functions:

• Once people reach the top rank, they run out of goals to work towards.
  • People who stop playing need to slowly decay in medals or they can hold a top spot without anyone being able to challenge them. That might feel nice for the person in question, but it clutters to the top of the leaderboard for active players.
  • There are various things which can distort players’ ELO/medals. For instance, if we have a bug or some really stupid bots or an OP card, it means that ELO/medals get “seeded” into the system — inflating everything incorrectly. For instance, for a while we had an exploit where you could invite someone using DMs to do 2v2 and get super easy matches – elevating your medals inappropriately. Even if you did not every use the op strategy, you’ve defeated players who have defeated people who used this strategy, injecting ELO & medals into the entire system, making everything kinda broken for our matchmaker. Having a periodic reset smooths out all of these transitory issues.
2 Likes

That doesn’t account for why I’m being matched against Chuckles and other top tier players when I’m mostly running 12-15’s with a lvl 13 general.

2 Likes

Q: do you have any level 16 or 17 cards in your deck?

I mean, it’s only a few battles won between each star. This is totally legit :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t have any level 15 cards in my deck much less 16! :weary:

1 Like

If we only match within a single “star” of
Ranks, currently with our current player base the wait times for matches would be very very long (think: 5-20 minutes.) I obviously wish this was not the case and we had enough players to find you a quick match within a star rank.

Is the same algorithm applied to events? I’m running my strongest boss in a level 13 Avasa. I had a decent start to this event but since I am getting run over by level 16/17 players with maxed cards. It’s not even close. Very frustrating where I used to place decently in events and now I’m lucky to break the top 40.

3 Likes

If playership is down, why don’t developers backtrack and see when everyone started to leave; instead of running absurd events.

This is poor business. Poor customer service and satisfaction. I’ve only recently joined the forum but all I see is dissatisfaction. Honestly, the new updates, additions with the gold mines, and the continuing imbalance of algorithms is what will push me away. Adding events to force players to use cards they’re not familiar with, or haven’t focused on upgrading, is just bad marketing.

I just hope something gets better real quick. I’ve lost alliance members already and hear of others wanting to find other games. “There aren’t enough players.”

One last time; when and why did that change?

2 Likes

Also I’m not talking about a “single star.” Are you blind? There are multiple stars creating two different medals!! Come on! Don’t be so condescending. There are DOZENS of battles required to be won between each star alone. What are you not getting?

1 Like

@S7campusLifer I have 1 lvl 17 unit and 3 lvl 15’s, everything else is hovering around 11 or 12 with my general at 13. Pretty sure all of his units are maxed. That’s hardly apples to apples.

1 Like

There it is again! The player base! Why isn’t something being done about this!

Sponsor a YouTuber. Put ads in other games. For more money, implement an ad chest! Referral system. YouTube ads. I mean…there are things that can be done immediately! Just please stop using the low player base as an excuse to not make the game better! Grow the player base!

3 Likes

I sorta alluded to this in a separate post:

If we spend $10 running lots of ads to convincing one person to install the game, on average we need to make $10 back from that player. If we make less than $10 back, we can’t do that for very long :stuck_out_tongue:

If we spend $10 running lots of ads to convincing one person to install the game, on average we need to make $10 back from that player. If we make less than $10 back, we can’t do that for very long :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a crock. You spend $10 influence 1 person that person spends $3 for one month of Elite. While returning players spend the other $7. You gained a player that will possibly make more purchases down the line. Also this is saying new players wont spend more then $10. What if that new player decides to dump $50 into the game? You are trying to look at is a negative light assuming new players wont spend money. Its a two sided coin, some more some spend less.

3 Likes

I’m confused by your response – there’s where the part where I said “on average” comes in? Yes: When you spend money on a marketing campaign, the vast majority of players who come in will spend $0. Many players only purchase an elite account – and some players purchase way more. When you average it out, it needs to be enough to make back the costs of running the marketing campaign – or else you can’t run very much marketing :stuck_out_tongue:

We’re very thankful for the customers who choose to purchase far beyond Elite Account. Without them we couldn’t afford to run the servers for everyone else, or afford to run any marketing campaigns, or continue developing the product.

You make the money back because you grow the player base which makes the game better for everyone and makes your players who will pay more likely to spend more. Look at my spending history, my over all spending is down, why…I’m not as happy with the game. When I am happy and loving the game I am much more likely to spend money on it. Right now when I consider spending money part of me whispers… careful you aren’t happy with the game right now, you might quit and then you wasted the money.

5 Likes

My spending history matches yours, fwiw. I spent like crazy for a while, my currencies and drops got nerfed and for $1000 I couldn’t get season units up, I got mad and felt like either I was being taken for a ride or someone out there in California actually thinks that’s a reasonable amount of game to provide for that amount of money, and I stopped buying anything but elite.

Sorry S7. If $5 a month is less than the per-user MRR you’re banking on to fund the game, you might as well ban me, because my good faith was squandered.

3 Likes

Exactly this. When your standing player base is happy with how the game is overall with incentive and reasonable offers; along with a great game - that original player base will p2p. As a newbie, who put work into learning quick, I am with Lyth. I’d pay more if I didn’t think there could be a real chance of me quitting this game.

4 Likes