Madness is killing the game

Hi, I’m an avaza player and have spent most of my time and money to max it out. Almost all my deck is lv17 and used to win 70% of the time till madness appeared. The strength of avaza focuses mostly in the mech and on strong clustered attacks most of the time, as well for nash with his blast power attack. To make it more interesting for us you guys gave us suit up so we became more powerful. Then… madness happened and is changing the game drastically giving ascension an op card that is getting worse wen getting closer to max levels. I just lost 4 times in a row against ascension players some of em lv15 just cause of madness, the most op and unfair game changer card ever created and given to a faction. So basically you want me to get stronger stronger with suit up but that will play against me. What is the sense then?. Have you guys thought about the power of that card?. 3 consecutive madness make my attacks obsolete and will get worse once players max it out. What are you guys thinking about it? What’s the future?. And to make it even worse ascension also has warp which at least was more manageable. Haven’t you noticed game has changed 180 degrees for legion and rogue since madness? Please let me know about your plans on addressing this cause is killing me and remember what im say: ITS GOING TO KILL THE GAME and make ascension almost unbeatable. Please let me know your thoughts. Im getting really frustrated and im sure im not the only one. Ty

1 Like

Yeah, the only hope is to get your big play in before they draw all their madness cards.

I think it should be legendary and allowed only once in a deck.

2 Likes

You just have to adust your game Plan. Its strong but its high cost. Im Winning a lot of Games vs asc if you know how. But sometimes it can be frustrating to lose to madness.

3 Likes

Its difficult to bring your big game before you are all tech up specially with avaza. My mech will not be available that fast. Im turning my hopes into the fortress mech but still is uncertain. Trying different strategies now. Still madness is not well though out imo. Devs will have to address this.

1 Like

Im on it. Gotta find the right deck. Fortress mech can help take the beating but avaza will not be the same. I get changes to game are good to keep ppl interested but not when they are so radical.

It needs to be tech3 and a double Kuro team shouldn’t be playing 6 of them. That’s 30s+ of a game in which my units are not only pacified but actively fighting for them.

1 Like

Yeah. Because it’s so fun to be on the receiving end of a Suit-Up buffed Avasa with an entourage of healers following, or 3 Ant-Queens breeding and army in seconds while the jam-box blasts out they’re favorite battle hymm. I can find an OP combo for every faction.

1 Like

Thing is, both of those things you mentioned are tech3 (Avasa and Ant Queen) and one is by definition standalone, and the other is a legendary. They both have direct counters, too: nuke trucks, pain clouds, pyros, etc. Ascension is the only thing that counter madness with any dependability (nanoshield or warp) as far as I can tell.

Yeah, madness is way too strong for how little it costs. In my honest opinion, I wouldn’t be mad if it was just erased entirely. It’s a mistake and should be addressed as such.

3 Likes

Sounds like you figured it out, however I was going to suggest trying not to group units together. That’s how I’ve been able to counter it.

I would like to suggest though that maybe the radius of madness should be made a little smaller. It has quite the reach

3 Likes

@Holeesmokes I can’t disagree with moving it to T3, reducing the AoE or dropping the duration (say .20 seconds instead of .40 seconds per upgrade) or any combination thereof.

2 Likes

Problem: As everyone stated, madness is OP as it not only incapacitates units, but it causes them to attack friendlies. This is a 2 in 1 spell which is insane. There are “ways to deal with it” but they are generally circumstantial.

Madness is requires little skill, while countering it requires actual thinking/anticipation

Solutions:
Units under madness do 50% less damage.
Reduce the time they are influenced
Make it T3
Remove it

I think these are all valid.

At the very least it definitely off balanced the game.

Just my 2 cents

5 Likes

I don’t think moving it to t3 alone would be enough to balance madness but that combine with some or many other nerfs or changes could have potential.

The best Kuro madness players generally aren’t wasting madness until they’re around the t3 stage anyways, that would primarily effect giga players not asc as a whole.

1 Like

As I stated in a previous post, the value it generates is just too much, moreover while your troops are killing each other the opponents troop are killing yours as well. The only way I see to fix this card is to someway limit the number/type of units it can affect, or limit its effect in some other way.
If the opponent gets a push going and saves up Madness for when you answer with your troops you are just done.
You try and push on the other side? Your troops just kill themselves.
I would really like to know how people “play around” this card, since you have no clue if and how many of this card your opponent is holding.

1 Like

The only decent counters I’ve found are Ascension plays, too. Giga shield obviously can do it some of the time, and you can mitigate by warping. This is especially true if you haven’t leveled up warp and it takes longer to complete. Otherwise, Legion and Rogue just seem to have to adopt a dribble play strategy, which of course is completely contrary to their deck character.

3 Likes

The only thing that needs to be said is that madness costs 5. Infantry carrier costs 6. Hmmm.

2 Likes

You know, the fact that S7 employees are usually pretty quick to respond to posts regarding card balance but have not responded to this thread is telling. There truly isn’t an excuse for why madness was allowed to be in this game

2 Likes

I am starting to really notice the changes madness has brought to meta. I am using a Roxie ramp deck, hosting mostly T3 units. This deck gets annihilated by tempo Nash and Giga, but since madness, I haven’t been facing many of these decks. It seems they are forced to use a more midrange approach, giving me the time to build up my T3 army for the win. However, mostly I am facing madness builds and have practically built my deck to face it with pretty great success. My strategy is to play on the defense.

• Only play units to counter theirs for most of the game.
  • Only push with value units like Ant Queen, complimented with one or two lower tier units.
  • Don’t try to go for the HQ, instead just slowly chip away at their barracks.
  • Save the strongest and most versatile units for the end game.
  • If you don’t need to play units, don’t. Even if you have full mana.
  • Once the second madness hits the board, start unloading all your units on both sides. Even if they have a third madness, the second half should prevail.
  • If done right, win in overtime.

I can certainly see what the fuss is all about. Madness requires a complete deck reconstruction. Even though I have increased in rank drastically since madness, I don’t know how I feel about the fact that it’s only because I’ve built my deck around facing madness decks. As far as fair way to balance, I think the best way is to change the timing. The level 17 madness I see in Gauntlet are immensely brutal, lasting seemingly forever. Instead, all levels should have a set duration and leveling up madness only increases the maximum number of units it can affect. Good luck devs.

7 Likes

Your advice, while helpful, assumes that you have units that can counter them as well as the leeway the barrier gives. My level 11 barrier is not going to outlast a level 15 barrier, especially if I don’t take chances (I’ve had my barrier down in mere seconds by level 16 scouts.). Otherwise, they tech up with me, and often just drop level 15+ tier 3 units on me, saving madness for my defenders.

1 Like

I agree it’s a strong card. I haven’t seen the numbers — generally if things are unbalanced, we plan to adjust things so that’s not the case. Our goal it to make every card well designed, balanced and performing a role.

That said, at first glance, it doesn’t appear as overpowered as people are portraying it… My response to a related thread is quoted below. If Madness was indeed “op” as people are saying, I believe that the list of top players would be a wall of “ascension”, right)